Polystyrene Foam #6, commonly called Styrofoam, in block or food container form, is collected at EPS Recycling and sent to a Dart Container facility in Pennsylvania. Once there, the blocks are shredded, melted, and densified into solid 5-10 lbs. blocks. The blocks are then sold to manufacturers to be made into picture frames, pencils, rulers and molding for house construction.
Styrofoam is accepted all year long. Drop off is at Emmanuel UMC Ministry Center carport (house at end of large parking lot)
What We Collect
- Hard Styrofoam with recycle code 6 (Please remove all labels and tape)
- CLEAN Styrofoam food containers like egg cartons, cups, take-out containers, meat & veggie trays – please rinse thoroughly and dry.
Not accepting: Packing material such as packing peanuts, bubble wrap, air pillows and soft foam. Please take to The UPS store or USPS for reuse.
- Please check events calendar to avoid carport during outdoor events
- We are accepting ONLY hard Styrofoam and food-ware (code 6).
- Styrofoam must be kept separate from packing material.
- Remove all labels & tape. Styrofoam food-ware must be clean and dry.
- When blue recycle bin is full, un-tape & remove bag; tie it up & place in storage area. Tape the new bag to blue bin. Bags and tape (if needed) are located in box between the two blue bins.
- All Styrofoam must be left secured! No loose Styrofoam.
- Text (301)661-7087 when large storage area is full.
Other Ways To Help
Volunteers are needed to take Styrofoam to Crofton for recycling.
Questions about Styrofoam Recycling? We would love to chat with you!